Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

 
A Mother


A mother is someone to shelter and guide us,
To love us, whatever we do,
With a warm understanding and infinite patience.
And wonderful gentleness, too.
How often a mother means swift reassurance
In soothing our small, childish fears,
How tenderly mothers watch over their children
And treasure them all through the years!
The heart of a mother is full of forgiveness
For any mistake, big or small,
And generous always in helping her family,
Whose needs she has placed above all.
A mother can utter a word of compassion
And make all our cares fall away,
She can brighten a home with the sound of her laughter
And make life delightful and gay.
A mother possesses incredible wisdom
And wonderful insight and skill
In each human heart is that one special corner
Which only a mother can fill!

Katherine Nelson Davis

I got to spend time with my mother, grand mother, and great grandmother yesterday.  What I love most is that not only are they mother's to me, but my very dearest friends!  My mom and I put together a delicious lunch of dainty, sentimental items special for Mom's Day!  We started off with a nice refreshing gazpacho, proceeded to different salads: green, Japanese chicken salad, and mixed in a ham and cheese quiche and fresh homemade rolls.  But the finale was the true favorite for me.  My mom and I made my great grandmother's famous coconut pie!  A special day with special memories from the past and present! Cherishing these moments is a most important part of this journey. 



Recipe:

Japanese Chicken Salad
Salad:
2 cups cooked chicken
16 oz. shredded cabbaged carrots (slaw mix)
2 pkg. chicken ramon noodles, broken up
6 oz. slivered almonds
4 oz. sunflower seeds
4 green onions - chopped
Mix above

Sauce:
2 pkg. seasoning from ramon noodles
2 t. sugar
2/3 cup oil
1 t. accent
1 t. pepper
3 t. vinegar (use salad vinegar)
1 t. soy sauce (use more soy and vinegar than it calls for)
Mix sauce ingredients well.

Pour sauce over salad. Refrigerate overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment