Sunday, December 5, 2010

Favorite Things...


Holiday's are a time of reflecting on your favorite things.  One of my favorite foods is cheese dip aka chili con queso, and it's association with family, friends, and fun!  Back when I was a kid my sisters and friends loved making cheese dip together.  It was a must at every sleepover.  Those midnight batches were always the best and still done with my sisters on holidays or when we are all together.  Sometimes now I feel a little guilty for such indulging but not enough to keep me from it.  Those quick batches were basic and best and always served with a dr. pepper.  

1.) Take a small block of velvetta and cut in into cubes
2.) Pour into a sauce pan and mix it with a can of rotel (i can for every small block)
3.) Heat over the stove low heat stirring often or medium/high stirring constant.

I prefer the stove to the microwave for this recipe.  One of my aunts always adds milk and I love her touch to this dish.  Another aunt would mix in a can of cream of mushroom soup that would cream things up.  My grandfather, oh, his is by far all of us kids favorite.  He'd even send some to me in my lunch at school for me to share.  Megan, Ashley, and I have tried to re-create we do our best but there is something about his touch.  He takes the basic and adds about 1tbs: cilantro, 1 tsp.: cumin, 1/2 tsp.: garlic salt, and chili powder he does it to taste and it's just the right amount.  And there are several recipes up his sleeve for each of us grandkids and all our taste preferences. 

Cabot has a couple of great recipes I'd like to try (how I love Cabot cheese):
Chili Con Queso
Monterey Jack Chili Con Queso

There are several variations you can do with similar results it's hard to mess this dish up.

Here is one I've thought I'd should try......
Saute half a purple onion and 1 garlic clove with a tbs. of butter on med/low heat for a minute
Whisk in 2 tbs. of flour for a minute
Whisk in 1/2 cup of milk for a minute
Mix in 1/2 block of shredded cheddar and 1/2 block of velvetta or all cheddar or all velvetta or 1/2 cheddar and 1/2 montery jack
1 can of rotel or fresh tomatoes
1 jalapeno (optional)
2 tbs cilantro and more for serving

Serve with chips and a Dr. Pepper of course!

Oh and one more I saw on Cooking Channel, a French take on Cheese Dip....

Berthoud

Ingredients

  • 2 cloves garlic, sliced in half
  • 1 pound Abondance cheese, rind remove, cut into small cubes
  • 4 tablespoons dry white wine
  • Few drops Madeira wine
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Fresh baguette, for serving, optional
  • Assorted charcuterie, for serving, optional

Directions

Special equipment: 4 small ramekinsPreheat the broiler to low heat.
Rub the inside of each ramekin with garlic, and then fill the ramekins halfway with the cheese. Add 1 tablespoon of the white wine and a drop of Madeira to each ramekin. Sprinkle with pepper. Place the ramekins on the top shelf of the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and the tops are golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes.

Serve with a fresh baguette and some charcuterie, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. Is there ever a bad time to eat Chili Con Queso?! I think it might be the perfect food :) Thanks for sharing your favorite recipes, and for linking to ours as well! Our farm family owners appreciate your Cabot support!
    ~Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete